When the original building on this site started operating as a small coal-fired power plant in 1901, Steamboat Springs became the first town in Northwest Colorado to provide its residents with electricity. The steam, a by-product of the system used to create electricity, was used to heat nearby schools and residences. The existing brick building was built in 1906, and provided electricity to the town. The Carver Power Plant was relieved in1926 by the McGregor plant, in turn relieved by the Hayden Station in 1965. It was rehabilitated to house the City of Steamboat Springs’ Centennial Hall in 2000.