The original wood building was completed in 1892 and was originally a general store. The current brick building was built in 1903. In 1912, it became the courthouse when the county seat relocated from Hahn’s Peak. After 1921, the courtroom occupied the second floor, while the clerk, treasurer and jail shared the ground floor. When the present-day courthouse was completed in 1923, the building became the site of a dance hall called the Social Benefit Association or SBA.