Tread of Pioneers Museum/Utterback House

The two-story, rectangular wood-framed structure with intersecting gables topped by a widow’s walk was built in 1900 by C. A. Seymour, manager of the Hugus Merchantile Store. The home, located on the corner of Fifth and Oak Streets and used by a subsequent owner as a ballroom dancing school, was purchased by the Utterbacks in l944 as a town residence for the winter months. The house was donated to the Tread of Pioneers Museum by Doctor Utterback’s daughter, Karen, and moved to the corner of Oak and Eighth Streets, where it retains its exterior integrity and serves as the museum’s permanent home.


800 Oak Street